Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Slow Is the New Fast



I am learning that there are some things in life that are better learned and maintained in a slow manner. I have a list that I believe is important to do slowly as to retain the importance of it:

1. Losing Weight

2. Reading

3. Deep cleaning

4. Communication (especially in a angered situation)

5. Eating

6. Planning

Notice two of the items I listed are about food, coincidence? I don't think so. I believe that some things really take time to learn and the process of change takes time. It has been said that changing a bad habit takes approximately 3 weeks to one month. December 31, 2005, I decided that I needed to change my life, my eating habits, my weight. Well, it didn't start December 31st, actually, I had been doing research on the internet, talking to my MD and speaking to others. I was going to have the Gastric Bypass. My doctor told me he would approve me and my insurance would cover it. I was considered morbidly obese. I have been called alot of things, but Morbidly Obese, cut me to the innermost part of my soul. My doctor told me that at the rate I was going, I may not make it to my 40th birthday. He lovingly (and I do mean that he lovingly spoke to me) told me that I was a great candidate for Diabetes, Heart problems: including heart attack, and Thyroid problems. He asked me to think about the effect all of my eating was having on my life, and my family's life. He also asked me to go home and think about my family's life without me.

I joined Weight Watchers December 31st, and I have never regretted doing so. I lost 72 pounds in 2 1/2 years. I did this, I didn't have a surgery, I didn't start drinking drinks from a can. I changed my eating habits...I began planning my meals, eating smaller portions...I was constantly mindful of what I was putting into my mouth.

Somewhere along the time that we took in our 2 Korean boys and the time the job really began to be very distressing I stopped being mindful of what I was eating. I stopped thinking first and began eating first...I am trying desperately to get back to a plan, Weight Watchers is the way to go. I hope to continue working daily to get back on track. That is my desperate need. I have aproximately 45 pounds left to lose. I am confident that I can lose this weight. I have already been a loser and I want to be a loser again.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! You truly do make me want to do this. Is just hard. I am having a hard time right now.. I dont know what or why I am being such a "excuse" person...

    ReplyDelete